Skype meals are a really great way to catch up with people from around the world, interstate or even just across the yarra. Also you can totally justify eating breakfast for dinner, dinner for breakfast or have a sneaky glass of wine a couple of hours earlier than wine-O’Clock.
This morning, I had a Sype breakfast with my mum, my brothers and my sister in-law for mother’s day. My baby brother Paddy made a such a beautiful spread…I ended up with a little bit of Skype food envy, that can happen, especially in my family…we are all great cooks. I have ended up taking the green monster to the pantry to see what I could muster…
I love the look of black food…poppy seeds, nigella seeds, black chia seeds and black quinoa..their juxtaposition against the bright reds and crisp greens of other healthy foods. That’s pretty much the only reason why I buy the black quinoa over the other colours.
I have been eating breakfast each day in the shop because; I now own more food than I have ever imagined possible, but my cupboards at home are almost bare. But sometimes, out of necessity genius is born…but in about 12 mins and a 30 rock episode I should be able to report if this experiment paid off..
Black quinoa and prune pudding with honeyed almonds
- 1 cup of black quinoa
- 3 cups of water
- 20 pitted prunes
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp of cinammon
- Zest of 1/4 lemon
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- 2 tsp of honey
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- Put black quinoa, prunes,vanilla, cinnamon, and 2 cups of water into a saucepan
- Bring to the boil
- Simmer for about 15mins
- Now like risotto add the remaining 2 cups of water about 1/2 cup at a time, waiting until each addition of water is absorbed before adding the next (this gives the quinoa a beautiful rich glaze)
- When all of the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender put aside for a little bit whilst the almonds toast
- Put the almonds into a small fry pan and toast until golden being careful not to burn them. Take out of the pan and put aside.
- Return the pan to the stove put the honey and the remanding 1/4 cup of water, simmer for about 3 1/2 mins until the mixture is boiling and a very light honey colour, add the almonds back in and coat them in the mixture.
- Sprinkle on the sea salt and scatter the almonds over the quinoa.
- Yoghurt (cows/sheeps/goats/coconut)
- Coconut cream with honey or agave
- Cottage cheese with honey or agave
- A lick of condensed sweetened milk
Thank you to all of the mums. A special loving blessing to all of the single mums out there…I hope that there is someone making you feel super special today. And finally thanks to my mum for all of your love and support and Rivka for your food and your warmth. I love you guys xxxx